Monday 2 June 2008

16

My jar is filled with the word "same" 100 times. But each repetition of the word is in a font, size, style, or color different from the other "same"s. This is representative of our mind set when we see a group of people wearing similar clothes; or talking, running or walking similarly; or all have a shopping bag from the same place; or are of a certain study concentration; or attend an unfamiliar school... But time after time I find that as soon as I spend time with the individual, they are so not the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea behind your jar. I often wonder about people's storied as I pass them on the street or in the halls. You get just a glimpse of their life, and you can find yourself wondering if the rest of their life is happy, satisfying. Instead of classifying them as a stranger, all the same, you remember that they are an individual.

Anonymous said...

This is a social commentary. We may all be humans, but there are many differences that make us all unique. All your words still accomplish the same result. Who is to say that one font, size, style, or color is better than another. They need to all be appreciated.