Monday 2 June 2008

9

This piece has 99 pinches of soil from Kensington Gardens and 1 cherry seed. The piece is based on the saying, "Life is just a bowl of cherries," which is an idiom typically used to describe life when it is very pleasant. The concept behind my work is that in life, we must grow our own cherries in order to have the wonderful things happen. The soil from Kensington Gardens goes back to J. M. Barrie's concept of childhood and the imagination--it reflects how our imagination is often the best soil for our dreams to grow from, and thus, our happiness to spring from.

The cherry seed (happiness in life) needs to be nourished by the earth (ourselves) the same way a child must be nourished by their mother in order to grow healthy and strong.

3 comments:

Michael Mercer said...

That's a really good thought. I think i'll ponder it for awhile. I don't like cherry's very much, though. Can I plant a strawberry seed? Put aren't the seeds on the outside of a strawberry? I mean, would a strawberry really grow from just one of those little seeds or do I just have to plant the whole thing? Maybe that's irrelevant. I need to work on my philosphical skills.

Anonymous said...

Did you really count 99 pinches of soil? You ARE persistent!

Anonymous said...

You inspired me! I think you are absolutely right. Life is what we make it. If life could be encapsulated. This is just how I would imagine the outcome.